Angry of Ashford

Poor Mikey has been ill all weekend with a horrible ear ache.

As it was the weekend our GP was shut so we called 111, who were unbelievably busy, and the Dr finally called us back at about half 11 Saturday night! She diagnosed a middle ear infection (where the pain has spread to a tooth as well) and prescribed a course of antibiotics, sending the prescription to Boots who were open until midnight! As a loving Mum I sent Andy to pick it up (I did let him use my car!!) When Grumpy got back he said the pharmacist felt the dose was too low at 5ml, in April when he had the same thing he was on 10ml, but for once I was being good and stuck to the Drs instructions!

We were also pouring Calpol and Neurophen into him every 2 hours on rotation. I'm not happy about doing this, but we have no option as the pain is horrific. As a Renal sufferer I am not allowed to take Ibuprofen so giving it to my child really makes me feel awful. Andy has also stopped taking it since I was diagnosed to ensure I can't take it by mistake!

On Sunday Mikey was no better at all so we called 111 again and the Dr I spoke to agreed that his dose should be doubled! We have now nearly finished the bottle but have not seen any improvement.

As a result of the lack of improvement I called our GP at 9 this morning - I was told that there is nothing they can do as they are too busy! Also that I should have called at 8...After this I was not in a good mood so I pointed out that I am ill and 8am is not a time I am capable of dealing with sitting on the phone in a que. I also told them I was not happy, especially when they told me to ring 111! I also told them I would be contacting the CQC before hanging up and calling 111.

Thankfully I got through quite quickly and spoke to a couple of very nice people before a nurse called me back! He actually managed to get some sense out of Mikey and feels that the antibiotic prescribed is probably not the right one/strong enough. But to get another prescribed we need to speak to a Dr! 111 do not have Drs on duty until the evening so he called our surgery and got no further than I did. So for now Mikey is on painkillers and I am calling 111 at 6.00 tonight to try to either get him seen or stronger antibiotics prescribed...

Terry, the nurse, also checked with WHH and A&E is really busy so there is no point taking him in there - especially as most people are going in with suspected Covid so it would be dangerous for both of us to be there for a prolonged time!

|My biggest challenge today is actually keeping him awake - I'm hoping sleep may be a natural antibiotic...or he is in teenager practice mode again! He has been down for some food, but nothing sensible! But compared to the amount he hasn't eaten over the last few days any food is better than nothing.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do I keep Going?

Worried

Lockdown, Day 90